EVERYTHING, DROPBOX, AND FASTSTONE CAPTURE --
THREE FREEWARE PROGRAMS THAT MAKE FAMILY HISTORY LIFE EASIER
ęCopyright 2011 by Donald R. Snow
Sections of the Class Notes
This page was last updated 2011-11-13.
Return to the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group Home Page or Don's Class Listings Page .
WELCOME AND INTRODUCTION
- Instructors are Donald R. and Diane M. Snow ( firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com ) of Provo, Utah and St.
- These notes with active Internet links are posted on the Utah Valley Technology and Genealogy Group website http://uvtagg.org >
Class Outlines > Don's Listings . Many other class notes for family history are posted there too.
- This will discuss 3 very useful freeware computer programs that help in family history - Everything, Dropbox, and FastStoneCapture.
- Note: holding down the Control Key while clicking on a link in these notes opens the link in a new window while keeping the notes open so you can get back to where you were more easily
- Super fast search program for files on your computer
- Download from http://www.voidtools.com/
- Allows searching for any part of file name regardless of path to the file -- hence shows all copies of the file regardless of which folders they are in
- Click on column headings to sort results by name, path, size, or date
- Allows launching programs by clicking on titles
- Very helpful for file maintenance by using Everything in tandem with Explorer to move, organize, and delete files - file maintenance
- Can install it on your computer or use it from a flash drive, but requires NTFS format (common with Windows 7)
- Demo of downloading, installing, and using Everything
- Does file transfers between any computers connected to the Internet
- Download program from http://www.dropbox.com/
- Allows online storage and backup -- comes with 2 Gigs online storage space free and you can pay for more online space, if you need it
- Can be used to store files so you can collaborate with others for family history, documents, writings, etc. -- e.g. store your genealogy data backup file there so your family can download and edit it -- you have to tell them where it is and give them permission to download it
- Is NOT private, i.e. has no encryption, so don't transfer anything containing private information like passwords, credit card numbers, bank data, etc.
- Additional info on using Dropbox -- How To Geek - Supercharging Dropbox
- Demo of downloading, installing, and using Dropbox
FASTSTONE CAPTURE VERSION 5.3 (LATER VERSIONS ARE NOT FREEWARE)
- Screen capture program with features others do not have, e.g. capture scrolling windows
- Download Version 5.3 from http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/mmedia/FastStoneCapture.html -- note that later versions are NOT freeware
- Various capture modes, e.g. full screen, active window, rectangle, hand-drawn shape, scrolling window
- Various capture formats, e.g. jpg, tif, png, pdf
- Allows adding captions to screenshots, if desired
- Has image editor, if desired
- Can save pdf screenshot of text and then use another freeware program to OCR it (optical character recognition), e.g. -- http://download.cnet.com/JOCR/3000-2192_4-10768898.html
- Demo of downloading, installing, and using FastStone Capture 5.3
- Download, install, and try out the Everything program on your computer. Then use it to copy or move some files to other locations on your computer, i.e. file maintenance.
- Download, install, and try out FastStone Capture 5.3 to see how to use it.
Return to the Utah Valley
Technology and Genealogy Users Group Home Page or Don's Class Listings Page .